2015年12月9日 星期三

15:She gets me for a quart a month

002514

I don't know. 
Maybe it's a special talent, but I'm forever finding things.
People, animals.
I found this cat once, and I took him with me wherever I would go.
But I ran out of money.
I couldn't afford to feed him anymore, and he ran away.
I know it must be a painful subject, but, uh, have you ever considered getting a job?
Sure, I've had all kinds of jobs.
Let's see, I was a waitress a few times.
I worked at a department store in the bargain basement, and I even sold pots and pans door to door.
May I have some more milk?
Please?
You think I'm some kind of bum or something?
Is that why you asked me about getting a job?
Well, if you're old enough to be on your own, you oughta be mature enough to work.
Where did you read that?
Paula Harmon. 
Is she a relative?
My ex-wife.
You send her money?
No. Blood
She gets me for a quart a month.
Is she pretty?
I used to think so.
How old is she?
She's 39, but you'd have to stretch her on the rack to get her to admit it.
What do you mean, "What does she do?"
Does she work? 
What does she do for a living?
Nothing, and she's exceedingly good at it.
Where's all this going?
I don't know.
Just seems to me that 39 is certainly mature enough to work.
Gee, I just love your house.
Do you mind if I look around?
You can, uh, search me before I leave.
Go look.

forever
1. for all time in the future, or for as long as you can imagine
They promised to love each other forever.
2. informal
for a long time, usually longer than you would like
The film seemed to go on forever.

this
used when you are referring to a particular person, thing, fact etc that has just been mentioned, or when it is obvious which one you are referring to
…but I'm forever finding things.
People, animals.
I found this cat once,…

run out of
to use all of something and not have any left
Many hospitals are running out of money.

some
used for referring to an amount of something or to a number of people or things, without saying how much or how many

some more
I just wanted some more information about language courses.

buminformal
1. Am E
someone without a job or place to live who asks people for money in the street
2. Am E
a lazy person

read
to get information from books, newspapers etc : We read it in the local paper.

blood
The total blood volume for an average 70 kg human (150 pounds) is approximately 5.5 liters (or a little more than 5 1/2 quarts)
人體血液量,約為體重的十三分之一。體重若 65 公斤,約有 5,000 cc 的血液。

quart
a unit for measuring an amount of liquid, containing two PINTS
1 PINTS = 0.47317 L

a quart a month
每月的液量 a quart 0.94742 L 947cc

註:
cc是計算體積的立方公分 (cubic centimeter)
mL是計算容積的毫升 (mili-liter 千分之一公升)
液體的計算,應以容積單位為準

She gets me for a quart a month
Injury can cause blood loss through bleeding. A healthy adult can lose almost 20% of blood volume (1 L) before the first symptom, restlessness, begins, and 40% of volume (2 L) before shock sets in.
人若一次失血量,超過總血液量的20%即會休克;超過 25%~30%,即會死亡。
這是以a quart的「血液」來譬喻高額的「瞻養費」。

rack
a former instrument of torture consisting of a framework on which a victim was tied, often spread-eagled, by the wrists and ankles, to be slowly stretched by spreading the parts of the framework.

stretch her on the rack
把她綁在肢刑架上

good at
able to do something well
Bob is pretty good at fixing things.